Posts tagged Blu-ray
I am a firm believer of making proper use of things I purchase and own. More specifically: books, Blu-rays, DVDs and video games.
If I own (or someone gives me a gift of) a movie or TV series to watch, then I insist of watching it as least one time before putting it on “the shelf.” The same applies to books… thus there are a couple of novels sitting on the end table next to my bed that are unfinished (with apologies to Jimmy Buffett and my friend Cynthia Gralla.)
Last weekend I did some housecleaning and got an inventory of the “to watch” stack of video discs sitting near the TV. Here’s the stack waiting to be watched:
- Braveheart (Blu-ray)
- Cowboy Bebop: Remix (The Complete Series)
- Darkwing Duck (Volume 1 )
- Darkwing Duck (Volume 2 )
- Gone with the Wind (Blu-ray)
- Gossip Girl (Season 1 ) *
- Gossip Girl (Season 2 ) *
- Knight Rider (Season 4 ) **
- Logan’s Run (Blu-ray)
- Magnum P.I. (Season 4… almost completed)
- Quantum Leap (Season 5 )
- Starship Troopers (Blu-ray)
- The Godfather (Blu-ray)
- The Godfather Part II (Blu-ray)
- The Godfather Part III (Blu-ray)
- The Powerpuff Girls (The Complete Series… currently on Season 4 )
- The Transformers (The Complete Series)
- The X-Files: I Want To Believe (Blu-ray)
- The X-Files (Season 6… almost completed)
- The X-Files (Season 7 )
- The X-Files (Season 8 )
- The X-Files (Season 9 )
* Someone bought the Gossip Girl DVDs for my wife. I wouldn’t count on me watching those… but she will.
** I do not own Knight Rider (Season 3) yet because I refuse to pay more that $20 for a classic TV box set, thus I am patiently waiting for it to go on sale.
Speaking of TV series box sets… I wonder if Joey Snackpants has picked up his copy of Battlestar Galactica yet.
We watched Pinocchio on Blu-ray last night – and it is amazing that it retains its G rating in today’s oversensitive society that we’re in. Things that happen in the movie:
- Animal Abuse – Geppetto kicks the cat (Figaro) with a WOODEN PUPPET. Not nice.
- Child Abuse – one of the clocks in Geppetto’s house depicts a woman spanking a child on his bare ass.
- Playing with Fire – Pinocchio plays with fire and starts his finger on fire!
- Smoking – Everyone smokes a puff… even Pinocchio with a big ol’ stogie. (Bonus – there’s even chewing tobacco in Pleasure Island!)
- Racial Profiling – the Italian puppeteer’s name is Stomboli. Seriously?!
- Whoring Around – Have you ever noticed that Jiminy Cricket hits on EVERY woman character in Geppetto’s clocks? (Why is late on his first day of work as Pinnochio’s conscience? He runs the next morning to catch up with Pinnochio while getting dressed… what was he doing that he had to be UNDRESSED? Think about it.)
- Human Trafficking – The Coachman wants Honest John to collect “little boys” for him. Oh. Em. Gee.
- Vandalism – Kids throwing bricks through windows for fun.
- Underage Drinking – While in Pleasure Island, Pinocchio has obviously drained the stein of booze in front of him.
- Language – Jiminy uses the phrase “jack ass” in a G-rated movie. So do other characters.