You know someone has an impact on you when they die and you feel it, but you never knew them in person. Earlier today, I finished a book called Ready Player One. It’s a science fiction book that immerses the reader into the nostalgia of the 1980s as a major storytelling element. So many obscure things from my childhood are major parts of it.
Classic computing. Zork. The Apple IIc.
The Apple IIc was my first computer. It was THE first computer in my household. I learned BASIC on it. I learned to program. I learned structured thought on that machine. I learned how to avoid a Groo and I learned how to keep a family alive on the Oregon Trail.
Steve Jobs, through his work, introduced prepubescent me to the computer age. I blog – hell, I built this blog – based on the skills that were initially installed in my mental hard drive from Apple’s resident genius.
A couple of details got confirmed yesterday for a trip out west this November. While there, Shannon and I plan on staying an extra week to visit someplace we’ve never been: The Grand Canyon. Here’s a photo of the hotel I just booked us at:
THANK YOU everyone who came out tonight and went bowling for my birthday. It was great to get to see everyone – and I didn’t know so many of my friends could actually bowl.
I mean… Wow. LOL.
You guys rock.
And I am taking the time to test email posting to my blog. I have attached one of the default wallpaper images to see how well it posts.
The phone? The Palm Pre aka “iPhone with a keyboard.” There are sooooo many elements “borrowed” from Apple on this it’s scary.
NOTE: This message was sent from my cell phone – so please excuse any grammar mistakes and typos.
It’s a good hurt though – the hurt that comes with getting shit done that you’ve put off due to being a little too busy or a little too lazy…. Or both.
Either way, seven things on the List of Stuff to do on vacation got knocked out between Friday evening and last night.
1. Finish cleaning home office: the office is now an office. The computer is up to date, the shelves are organized and I can see the floor. This will pave the way for getting things done starting this Tuesday night.
2. Wash the Mustang: Please see smart ass comment on number three.
3. Wash the Scion: Both cars got cleaned thoroughly over the weekend. Expect rain today in South Florida.
4. Mustang seat covers: I put them on (which is an annual summer tradition) since black leather in the sun SUCKS.
5. Clean computer hard drives: Backups were run and large files archived. The lappy toppy is running wonderfully again and the desktop is doing pretty damn good for a computer at its age.
6. New Sunpass for cars: I installed the Sunpass Mini in the Scion (saving the headached of swapping the other one back and forth.)
7. Frame autographs for office: We are running out of wall space with nine foot ceilings. Would you believe we have over fifty autographed photos?!
That knocks the list from forty five items to thirty eight. YAY.
Added note: I will be in Tampa and Orlando on Thursday for appointments (including hotels for events.) Let me know if I am supposed to see you while I am there for some reason.