NCL Bahamas Cruise Part 2: The Trip to the Bahamas
We got on a boat. Remember that this was going to be our first cruise. I had been on “booze cruises” in the past – the ones that take you far out enough to gamble legally and then back the same night. Shannon’s experience with boats extended (more or less) to being a dreamy eyed teenage girl when Titanic was in theaters. Combined our experience gave us a very limited view of what to expect. Then we saw the boat… and it was BIG:
For our first adventure, I opted to get us a room with a porthole so we could see outside when we felt like it. We discussed getting a balcony, but Shannon vetoed this for our initial outing since she was unsure how she’d react. Our room was small (which we expected.) Check it out:
We took time to walk around the boat and see what they had to offer in the way of distractions while we were at sea. There was a lot to do and a lot to EAT. We’re talking non-stop buffets and restaurants and pizza delivery to your room and PRETZEL ROLLS FROM THE GODS. In retrospect, I’m pretty sure that Shannon downed over a dozen of those tasty morsels in three nights. If you ever take a Norwegian Cruise – seek out the pretzel rolls. You’ll thank me.
Once the cruise was underway, we got treated to a beautiful view of Miami at dusk. I took a ton of photos (you can see here) and this is one of my favorites:
Then we were out to sea. Each night of travel was a different experience. Here’s a breakdown.
- NIGHT #1: Choppy seas. Shannon opts to take some Dramamine (photo) after attempting to tough it out for a couple of hours.
- NIGHT #2: Average seas. Shannon decides not to risk it and takes two Dramamine as soon as we set sail. She remains passed out all night.
- NIGHT #3: Calm seas. Shannon is relieved and walks around in heels the whole night. No nausea. No Dramamine. Smooth sailing.
I was fine all three nights, but I attribute that to years making believe I was walking on unstable footing as a child (thanks to Star Trek turbulence scenes and the asteroid field scene in The Empire Strikes Back.)
After the first night at sea we found ourselves in The Bahamas. I even found Wi-fi from the island and checked in on Foursquare: https://foursquare.com/v/port-of-bahamas/4b828127f964a520b2d530e3
- Good morning 2012. Here’s my AWESOME life so far. #NewYearsDay
- NCL Bahamas Cruise Part 5: (Not So) Great Stirrup Cay
- NCL Bahamas Cruise Part 4: Stuart Cove’s SUB Adventure
- NCL Bahamas Cruise Part 3: People on the Cruise
- NCL Bahamas Cruise Part 1: Miami Beach, Florida
- Back from the Bahamas. SO MUCH to tell. For now, check out this photo of Shannon…
- The Morning After AND The Morning Before (Photos)
- Four years later and she’s still ‘Mrs. Croom’
- The Vegas Vacation Part I: NeonCon & The Tropicana
- Anniversary Vacation: The Trip Home…