Shula’s Steak House in Miami, Florida…
Previously on “Tom Croom visits a bunch of Man v. Food locations”:
- The Vortex in Atlanta, Georgia
- The Buckhorn Exhange in Denver, Colorado
- The Jack-N-Grill in Denver, Colorado
- Gladys Knight And Ron Winans’ Chicken And Waffles in Atlanta, Georgia
Today’s post is MEAT-TASTIC. A couple of weekends ago, I took my good friend Brett Tougas out for dinner to celebrate the tenth anniversary of his 30th birthday. The venue of choice for the festivities: Don Shula’s Steak House in Miami, Florida.
Shula’s Steak House is located in the Alexander Hotel right on the beach. For those of you familiar with Florida, this is THE time of year to enjoy the weather in the Sunshine State. Brett and I took in all of the South Florida goodness in the air on our drive down to the restaurant. Upon getting there, Shula’s (and the Alexander Hotel) present an atmosphere that you are not just someplace you “go to” – you are someplace where you arrive.
Shula’s decor made us both feel like we had stepped into a high class eating establishment straight out of 1975. The dark wood furniture and architecture coupled with the classic football awards and photos really make you feel like you’ve stepped into a different place and time. The restaurant screams “football legend” at every turn.
Speaking of football, check out the menu:
That’s right; the menu is ON A FREAKIN’ FOOTBALL. On the other side of the menu?
Yup. That’s Don’s signature.
We didn’t need the menu, though, since we had decided before arriving that we would both attempt the 48 oz. challenge achieved by Adam Richman on the Miami, Florida episode of Man v. Food. From Shula’s website:
Shula’s Steak House formed the 48oz. Club in 1989 to honor the true beef lovers of America. The induction into this steak lovers club consists of finishing 48 ounces of the best beef money can buy – The SHULA CUT ®.
That’s right. We went there. We are the TRUE beef lovers of America. (Insert patriotic theme as you read the rest of this post.) Before:
One would imagine that the “gimmick” of a 48 oz. steak would offer meat that is “quantity over quality”. NOT TRUE AT SHULA’S! The steak was amazing. Our server filled us in regarding the fact that Shula’s raises its own beef in Georgia on their own privately owned farm in order to ensure the steak is to the premium level that the restaurant promises. Price wise: you’re paying for the quality, but it is worth every penny.
As with a number of the other food challenges I’ve tried from the TV show, folks at other tables made sure to come over and see the steaks and (once we were done) congratulate us both on finishing. Remember when your mom used to congratulate you as a little kid for finishing all of your vegetables? This is much cooler. Trust me.
Thus, another MvF location has been accomplished. As a bonus, I’m now listed on Shula’s website. Go to:
Type “Tom Croom” under search and you can see my claim to fame as a carnivore.
Next month I’m taking a trip to Vegas, so look for ANOTHER Man v. Food pilgrimage to take place.
- Tweets that mention Shula’s Steak House in Miami, Florida… — Topsy.com
- The NASCAR Cafe in Las Vegas, Nevada…
- Joe’s Stone Crab in Miami, Florida…
- Edward’s Drive-In in Indianapolis, Indiana…
- Tom Croom » Al’s #1 Italian Beef in Chicago, Illinois…
- Tom Croom » Philippe the Original in Los Angeles, California…
- Tom Croom » Phil’s BBQ in San Diego, California…
- Almost ten years ago, my Polish family got together. Today, we did it again. #MothersDay
- Why we can’t have nice things (& why #anime conventions like @ChibiPa still don’t get it.)
- Like so many other businesses in #VeroBeach, @FirehouseSubs #FAILS at service. Sadly.
- Review: Hammerhead Ranch Motel
- Hey WPLG Local 10 News in South Florida (@WPLGLocal10) – story idea! (In regards to #StarWars Celebration 6)
- UPDATED List of Concerts I’ve Been To (including seeing #TomPetty last week!)
- Dave & Tom’s Excellent Adventure (Stuart, Florida circa 1992)
- Phil’s BBQ in San Diego, California…
- Friday night I bought the last Gladys & Ron’s Chicken and Waffle’s t-shirt in Atlanta – ever.
- QUESTION: How long can a company keep your credit card info? RE: Mossimo’s Pizza in Vero Beach