The Edward James Olmos Battlestar Galactica Trader Vic’s @JoeySnackpants at #DragonCon 2011 story…
“I’m going to be the first one to say it really clearly, ‘Please tell your readers, do not watch this program.’ … If you are a real, real staunch ‘Battlestar Galactica’ person, please don’t watch it.” - Edward James Olmos, who plays Commander Adama in “Battlestar Galactica,” to the Television Critics Association in July 2003
That statement made for a way for my pal Joey Snackpants to avoid watching the new series when it aired. He LOVES old school classic science fiction and the original BSG ranks up there with some the greatest fun filled TV of the late seventies and early eighties. When the new series was wrapping up a couple of years ago and its popularity was at a peak, Joey enjoyed jumping into BSG conversations at conventions and pointing out that the ONLY reason he never watched the show was because Edward James Olmos told him not to.
Now, I watched the show at the urging of Jason Dorough and LOVED IT. As a fan, I have regularly encouraged Mr. Snackpants to dedicate some time to give it a chance. His response was the same canned answer about the Edward James Olmos quote… but it eventually became “I’ll only watch it if Edward James Olmos tells me to!”
Flash forward to last night. Each year at Dragon*Con there is a tradition of getting dinner and drinks at Trader Vic’s in the Hilton with my friends. This year, when we were seated, I noticed someone sitting at the table near us:
Yup. That’s Mr. Olmos and Julie Caitlin Brown at the table behind us.
Seeing an opportunity to force Joey to spend about $150 against his will, I began plotting a way to make a moment happen. A few Mai Tais later, I flagged down their server and paid their bill. (It wasn’t until later that we discovered that the server didn’t know who either person at the table was… until we mentioned Selena.)
Showing true class, Mr. Olmos and Ms. Brown came to table and shook hands and thanked everyone at our table. I explained to Edward that I was a fan of his work and appreciated him coming over. I then told him the story of Joey’s refusal to watch the show (thus putting Joey, sitting to my right, completely on the spot.)
Edward James Olmos spent about ten minutes pitching Joey Snackpants to watch the new Battlestar Galactica.
Thus, per his own request, Edward James Olmos has now personally TOLD Joey Snackpants to WATCH the new Battlestar Galactica. He has committed to do so.
Yup, It’s Dragon*Con people.
- Tweets that mention The Edward James Olmos Battlestar Galactica Trader Vic’s @JoeySnackpants at #DragonCon 2011 story… — Topsy.com
- My #DragonCon 2011 Report, Part 1 of 3: The Good
- The DVD (and Blu-ray) backlog of “need to watch.”
- My Boring Ass Life Last Year: 2010 In Review
- Star Trek Into Dorkness (SPOILERS and stuff, nerds.)
- The Year in Review or “WTF HAPPENED IN 2012?”
- HOLY SHIT I’M OLD.
- So #Hipster It Hurts & I’M (almost) ON A BOAT!
- Somehow my boring ass life wins free stuff on the Internet. Thanks #Mashable!
- #HappyNewYear 2012 and stuff. I HAVE NOTHING PROFOUND TO SAY, but I’m happy. :)
- So Ryan & Annie got married yesterday. Congrats! Here’s some random photos of it all…
- Al’s #1 Italian Beef in Chicago, Illinois…
- Does Beast Wars Suck? Sure does! Just ask this STANDING ROOM ONLY #Transformers panel room at #DragonCon 2011!
- #DragonCon was TASTY! (and other photos from @KTMcA)