Even car wrecks can be funny…
My sister called with urgent news… my mother got into a car wreck today. She was driving her new (only about a year or so old) Dodge Caravan down Cove Road in Pt. Salerno (south of Stuart) when a seventy-something year old women tried to “jump into traffic” by flooring her accellerator and SLAMMING into the side of the van.
The van spun out of control and into on-coming traffic… but my mother in true NASCAR fashion steered into the spin and recovered out of it. Once she confirmed that she was NOT going to have a heart attack, she got out and took a look.
The entire side had been pulverized. The damage had pierced through the metal and had put holes in it along with shredding the front tire. The baby seat that sits in the seat directly next to the door was destroyed.
(The Fates were smiling today… as the baby, my four year old nephew, was not in the seat at the time. He was still in school.)
The woman driving the other car also escaped injury… but the front of her car was completely smashed in.
SO WHERE’S THE FUNNY PART??!!!
I’ll get there quickly… Cops show up. Cop gives ticket to 70+ year old woman. Cop knows my mom because my sister is also a local cop when not in the Army. Cops change tire for my mom to drive home. Cop who knows my mom offers to follow my mother home to make sure she gets there okay.
Mom and cop pull out into traffic.
Cop’s car gets hit by speeding drunk seventy-something year old man not even five feet away from where my mom got hit.
Cop and drunk are both okay.
Drunk goes to jail.
Mom goes home.
No injuries to anyone… so we can all laugh… and think about writing our Congressmen about stricter laws for old folks getting licenses.
- Almost ten years ago, my Polish family got together. Today, we did it again. #MothersDay
- Why we can’t have nice things (& why #anime conventions like @ChibiPa still don’t get it.)
- Like so many other businesses in #VeroBeach, @FirehouseSubs #FAILS at service. Sadly.
- Review: Hammerhead Ranch Motel
- Hey WPLG Local 10 News in South Florida (@WPLGLocal10) – story idea! (In regards to #StarWars Celebration 6)
- UPDATED List of Concerts I’ve Been To (including seeing #TomPetty last week!)
- Dave & Tom’s Excellent Adventure (Stuart, Florida circa 1992)
- QUESTION: How long can a company keep your credit card info? RE: Mossimo’s Pizza in Vero Beach
- Why are small businesses failing? Just ask Mossimo’s Pizza in Vero Beach, Florida! #Service #FAIL
- Last Saturday I decided to randomly stop and say hello to an alligator (with photos)