That convention over in Tampa…
So there has been a lot of Internet buzz in the past 24 hours about a certain convention owner/chair/CEO for a certain anime convention that takes place in the western part of the state of Florida.
Since I’m getting asked so much about it (emails, phone calls, etc.) I’ve decided to make a “public post” so folks can understand exactly how (I feel) this should be viewed. To be honest, though, I don’t know anything more than what I’ve been pointed to and read on the Internet coupled with scuttlebutt from phone calls I’ve received.
1. A crime was allegedly committed and the court system has decreed what it deems as appropriate penance. We all choose to live where we live – and we are at the mercy of the local laws of that city/county/state/country. Arguing the right and wrong of the issue is moot.
2. The person who brought up charges was, according to law, a victim. I wish her the best and hope she can move on with her life beyond this.
3. The person that was allegedly convicted yesterday will now have to register on a public searchable database for his crime. His life of attending events and conventions will now be restricted based on the age of the attendees at the event… which cuts out ninety percent of all Florida fan conventions. His life is changed forever based on an allegedly bad decision… in the end, it seems, he too is a victim.
4. The convention will go on without him and (I would guess) will not be impacted by this. The masses shop at Walmart without regard of the negative impact the company and stores have on small businesses and local communities. People buy things that are made in China – and there is no secret about their violations of human rights in the past. The event will go on as other (larger) events have done so in the past.
- My ANNUAL LIST of FLORIDA GEEK CONVENTIONS 2013
- Review: Hammerhead Ranch Motel
- My wife’s @HardRock Cafe Teddy Bear collection (with pics!)
- Flickr Friday: Seth, Tom, Shannon and Adrian at Busch Gardens
- Upcoming weekends…
- NIN + Jane’s Addiction = NINJA
- What was your favorite Florida anime convention?
- SHAMELESS PLUG POST!
- I should have stayed a Star Trek Geek… they’re less vicious
- I just had to…