DragonCon 2009 – The morning after…
So I decided (at the last minute) to surprise Shannon and the Green Mustard crew by dropping into DragonCon on Sunday. My friend Eric and I drove up Saturday at midnight, arrived Sunday at 8:00 AM, spent 17 hours walking around the event, left at 1:00 AM Sunday night and got back to South Florida at 9:00 AM Labor Day. Here’s what transpired in that short time.
- Ran into Javier in an elevator.
- Bumped into Michael Stackpole in the halls and we took the time to talk and catch up. Mike is easily one of my favorite convention personalities and it is always a pleasure seeing him.
- Waved at Gary from a distance and told him I wasn’t at DragonCon… then avoided photos as proof.
- Shared an elevator with Cristine Rose (aka “Angela Petrelli” from Heroes.)
- Shared another elevator with Alessandro Juliani (aka “Lt. Felix Gaeta” from Battlestar Galactica.)
- Had that Petey guy cut me off on an escalator. That blog is right… he is an asshole! (J/K)
- Bumped into George Lowe and talked about a mutual friend spending a lot of money on photos and autographs.
- Yes… we were talking about Joey Snackpants having moments of geigh with Shatner. I spent time with Mr. Snackpants at the con, but not TOO much it seems. He has “con flu” and I (to date) and still healthy.
- Saw Emily long enough to talk shop about a potential voice actor that NEEDS to be at SuperCon.
- Got Patrick Stewart‘s autograph… AWESOME.
- Ran into Allen C., Kimberly B., Troy D. and a few others who all saw me incognito to which I replied in true Clerks form: “I’m not even supposed to be here!”
- Paul Vincenti won an award for his amazing artwork at this year’s DragonCon – and I bumped into him to convey congratulations.
- I saw a contest and re-affirmed my belief that a certain someone is, in fact, a douche.
- I watched another amazing performance from the girls from Wasabi Anime at this year’s Masquerade. You should watch, too:
I can’t quite put my finger on it… DragonCon still seemed like a great time, but it wasn’t (as a whole event) as “spectacular” as the past couple of years.
At least I learned early that it is easier and quicker to buy a ticket at the door than it has ever been to buy in advance. Hopefully next year will get more bugs worked out.
- Star Trek Into Dorkness (SPOILERS and stuff, nerds.)
- Shannon spelunking in caves in Belize (Royal Caribbean)
- Shannon vs. The Rock Climbing Wall (Royal Caribbean)
- Shannon crossing a bridge in Belize (Royal Caribbean)
- Cruising down a river in Belize (Royal Caribbean)
- Driving in Belize (Royal Caribbean)
- The Progression of Project Anime.
- Riding rides upside down at the Fair.
- Shannon & I borrow Google bikes & visit Android.
- The Greatest Tom Croom YouTube video. Ever.