It’s been a month since my last blog post. To be fair, though, this post and the similar one from March have gotten a slew of updates during that time. I stopped updating “Fandom & the Coronavirus: Geek Event Cancellations 2020” because, quite frankly, I didn’t expect this to still be going on as long as it has. Contrary to what my public image sometimes conveys, I’m actually an optimist when it comes to these sort of things.
So what have I been up to? Well, the geek event cancellation project got moved to a private database. I’m working with some talented people to get a snapshot of the fan culture ecosystem right now to see how much of an impact COVID-19 has on events when mass gatherings resume. It’ll probably make for an interesting TED Talk in about two years.
Additionally, I looked back at this other post I made about a month ago outlining some quarantine goals. Here’s where things stand:
- I haven’t watched more Best Picture winners nor have I watched more anime. I have, however, discovered Terrace House on Netflix and it’s serving some of the same purpose that watching more anime would have provided: brushing up on my Japanese language familiarity. I even reinstalled Rosetta Stone as a result. Expect a “Terrace House” discussion panel at upcoming conventions I appear at.
- I did reorganize the bedroom closet which was a massive undertaking resulting in my nephew getting a bunch of t-shirts and other random things in the mail. As predicted, this led to the eBay project getting started successfully and it continues to be a work in progress. I have not, however, been able to do the same thing for my office yet. Soon. (I hope.)
- I still need to build a new InvaderCON website. That’s a full day project requiring no distractions. I foresee that happening once we get the aforementioned database completed.
- I haven’t finished any of the video games I listed in that post. Why? Two words: Animal Crossing. I might be forced to, though, due to a possible Twitch-related project. Stay tuned.
- Photo sorting: I *did* get things rolling on the GME ones, but that got stalled out. The personal ones involved laying the groundwork for printing key photos out – something that I will have the last piece in place for this weekend. So, soon-ish?
- I haven’t been able to revisit/repost old blog posts. That said…
This post will implement something that I reserve the right to totally change my mind about down the road. You see, I deleted all my key information off of Facebook some time ago and stopped updating it. I still use Facebook because I have to for work and I like Facebook Messenger as a communication tool. I just don’t partake in memes and posting and sharing stuff there.
I have over 650 people contacts as friends there and about another 300 people subscribed to my non-existent feed there. Many of them are family and friends that I don’t always have the time to call or talk to. So I’m going to allow my blog to start auto-posting updates there again. These will be the only posts made by me on my Facebook page so that folks there can see what’s going on via my sporadic updates here.
And the old blog posts?
I’m curious to see how that works. Since I’ll be reposting them as I go, will they autopost, too, to Facebook and Twitter (the two places that this feeds into)? Who knows. I guess we’ll find out. Apparently IFTTT no longer auto-posts to Facebook anymore. I’ll do it manually for now.
For now, stay safe, stay sane, and I’ll try to make time to babble here a little more often. Thanks for reading.