Sometimes you just can’t make this shit up, folks. Seriously.
I’m not sure that life could have lined up a better reminder of my mortality than it has over the past ten days.
- FIRST, my father passed away at the ripe old age of sixty three years old – less than two weeks ago.
- NEXT, a celebrity from one of my favorite film franchises of all time passed away – and he’s the same age as me.
- LASTLY, I turned forty years old – today.
In addition, I had planned to run my first full marathon today (with friends) to celebrate my birthday. I had actually trained and stuff, but I just wasn’t motivated to take the trip north to do it. It’s been a lot to swallow these past few weeks and I’d be lying if I said it was easy deal with. Instead of wallowing in self pity, though, I decided (today) to look at my life as a whole so far. In forty years on this planet, I’ve seen and done some pretty amazing things. I like doing amazing things.
I want to do more amazing things.
So here are a selected list of forty AMAZING things I’ve done in my years on Earth to celebrate my birthday. I’ve had a pretty cool life – and I intend to keep it going that way.
1. VERO BEACH, FLORIDA – I married my best friend.
2. ORLANDO, FLORIDA – I met my other best friend (hetero life mate) and, subsequently, introduced him to his spouse.
3. ARUBA – I went swimming in the bluest waters I’ve ever seen.
4. ANAHIEM, CALIFORNIA – I went to Disneyland.
5. ATLANTA, GEORGIA – I watched my team from Wasabi Anime win “Best of Show” at the Dragon*Con Masquerade in 2007.
6. AUSTIN, TEXAS – I saw a movie at the Alamo Drafthouse.
7. BALTIMORE, MARYLAND – I had crab cakes for dinner on the bay.
8. BELIZE – I drove a right-side-drive land cruiser off road through a rain forest and felt like Indiana Jones.
9. BILOXI, MISSISSIPPI – I watched my wife win over $100 on a slot machine.
10. CANCUN, MEXICO – I visited the pyramid at Chichén Itzá.
11. CHICAGO, ILLINOIS – I watched the Cubs play at Wrigley Field.
12. COZUMEL, MEXICO – I drank beer. Seriously, is there anything else you’re supposed to do in Cozumel?
13. CUPERTINO, CALIFORNIA – I visited the Jobs former house where the first personal computer was build in the garage.
14. DALLAS, TEXAS – I had the best barbecue I’ve ever had at Hard Eight BBQ.
15. DAYTONA BEACH, FLORIDA – I went to the Daytona 500.
16. DENVER, COLORADO – I survived Class 5 rapids via the Royal Gorge on the Arkansas River.
17. GRAND CANYON, ARIZONA – I hiked down into the the canyon, and back up, and almost died.
18. HOLLYWOOD, CALIFORNIA – I walked up and down the Walk of Fame.
19. INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA – I had the filet at St. Elmo’s Steak House (and their world famous shrimp appetizer!)
20. KEY WEST, FLORIDA – I had the most amazing key lime pie in the world.
21. LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA – I stayed at the *top floor suite in the Westin Bonaventure hotel downtown.
22. LAS VEGAS, NEVADA – I saw Holly Madison’s real fake boobies at the Peepshow.
23. MIAMI, FLORIDA – I’ve cruised Lincoln Road on South Beach more times that I can count.
24. MOUNT EVANS, COLORADO – I drove on the highest paved road in the United States.
25. MOUNT FUJI, JAPAN – I drove a car up the mountain and absorbed in the breathtaking views.
26. MOUNTAIN VIEW, CALIFORNIA – I borrowed a G-Bike and rode it around the campus of Google.
27. NASHVILLE, TENNESSEE – I visited Opryland before it closed. (Long before the Internet… so no link!)
28. NASSAU, BAHAMAS – I visited one of the most amazing aquariums in the world at Atlantis.
29. NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA – I’ve been to Mardi Gras. (This, too, predates the Internet… so no link!)
30. NEW YORK, NEW YORK – I proposed to my wife on top of the Empire State Building… on Christmas Day.
31. ORLANDO, FLORIDA – I worked on the television show “seaQuest” as an extra while working at Universal Studios Florida. (During the days of dial-up Internet and no blogging = no link!)
32. RED BANK, NEW JERSEY – I visited Jay & Silent Bob’s Secret Stash and made the pilgrimage to THE Quick Stop. (No link available.)
33. SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS – I visited the Alamo.
34. SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA – I has the second best barbecue I’ve ever had at Phil’s BBQ.
35. SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA – I walked halfway across the the Golden Gate bridge and back.
36. SOUTH OF THE BORDER, SOUTH CAROLINA – I went to the top of that giant sombrero.
37. TOKYO, JAPAN – I walked through Yoyogi Park during the Cherry Blossom Festival.
38. UNITED STATES – I drove cross country from the Atlantic Ocean (Florida) to the Pacific Ocean (California).
39. WASHINGTON, D.C. – I toured the White House during the holidays… and it was snowing at the time. (No link available.)
40. WEST PALM BEACH, FLORIDA – I met George Takei at my first ever geek convention – an event called “Trekfest”.
Not bad, if I do say so myself. Now: onward.