Yes, this is the story about the time I ate a burger called “The Big Ugly.”
- Al’s #1 Italian Beef in Chicago, Illinois
- Edward’s Drive-In in Indianapolis, Indiana
- Big Pie in the Sky Pizzeria in Kennesaw, Georgia
- La Moon in Miami, Florida
- Joe’s Stone Crab in Miami, Florida
- The Old Salty Dog in Sarasota, Florida
- Hot N Juicy Crawfish in Las Vegas, Nevada
- The NASCAR Cafe in Las Vegas, Nevada
- Shula’s Steak House in Miami, Florida
- Gladys Knight And Ron Winans’ Chicken And Waffles in Atlanta, Georgia
- The Jack-N-Grill in Denver, Colorado
- The Buckhorn Exhange in Denver, Colorado
- The Vortex in Atlanta, Georgia
Bub’s is a really neat little place in a suburb of Indianapolis – about 20 minutes from the city depending on traffic. Getting there was made easier by way of getting to meet up with my old high school friend Dave DeRosa and his lovely wife Gwen. Dave and I hadn’t seen each other in the better part of a decade, so a reunion was long overdue. Our wives got to listen to epic adventures we had as teenagers including (but not limited to) zany shit like this video.
Back to the food, though. The Big Ugly, according to Bub’s menu, weighs in a full pound AFTER being cooked (and starts out at 22 oz. pre-cooked.) This sucker is ginormous and even comes with a ridiculously large bun to hold it. Look at this thing:
HUGE. As with most of the Man v. Food locations, Bub’s doesn’t compromise taste for size. As big as that damn thing looks, it tasted great. The meat was quality ground beef. Juicy. Cooked well. Not the cheap stuff.
Man ate meat and meat was good.
Two other things on the menu that deserve recognition:
- Milk Shakes – our server suggested to Shannon that she try a mint chocolate chip and cookie dough ice cream shake. It was epic. Best. Combo. Ever.
- Sweet Potato Fries – Gwen ordered these and they came with warm marshmallow fluff to dip them in. PURE GENIUS. It tasted like Thanksgiving in the summer.