See that picture of me? That was taken from my Toshiba netbook on an Airtran flight right before I started watching Evangelion 1.11 You Are (Not) Alone. In that photo I am about to make use of my awesome new Sony noise eliminating headphones to eliminate the noise of the children on the plane returning home from Disney.
I was in a happy place in the photo.
That was almost five hours ago. The “happy” is all gone now.
The flight landed on time in Indianapolis. Tracy, Lyn and I caught a cab for the thirty minute drive to our hotel downtown: The Westin Indianapolis Hotel. We got there around 11:30 PM. All three of us were ready to get some sleep so we would be ready to start our Wasabi Anime events scheduled at Gen Con 2011. Keep in mind that all of our events take place in the Westin.
(This is where the happy starts to go away.)
I’m tired and I really want to get in a couple of hours of sleep, so I am going to slack off at this point and use on the laziest of writing tools known to bloggers – the bullet point list of events:
- We have had a reservation at the Westin Indianapolis confirmed for some weeks now.
- The manager at registration informed me that they had oversold the hotel and that there was no room for myself and my team.
- The offered to put us at a Sheraton for the night… 15 miles away.
- Since we obviously have no options, we accepted. The manager said the cab would be paid for and the Sheraton would take care of us.
- Once we arrived about thirty minutes later, the cab had no idea what I was talking about and insisted I pay. I called the hotel and had them speak to him to clear it up.
- The Sheraton Indianapolis Hotel & Suites informed me that they do not have any rooms with two double beds (which we were supposed to have at the Westin) and that they could get me “a roll away or a pull out couch.” I explained that this wasn’t acceptable.
- I called the Westin back AGAIN and (after the two managers talked) we have been comped two rooms so the ladies and I have our own spaces.
- Tomorrow, I have to get up, packed and be in the lobby at 8:15 AM to make it back to the Westin to set up for events by 9:00 AM.